M9 A1 FTE despite new extractor and spring - Page 6
Steyr Club - Powered by vBulletin
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Default Re: M9 A1 FTE despite new extractor and spring

Quote Originally Posted by donkengine View Post
    Being an engineer/analyst at heart, I decided to dig a little deeper into this issue.

When I spoke to Jeff, he stated that the Steyr chamber is fully supportted and possibly tighter than other 9mms, hence they may be more picky when it comes to ammo. My P7 shoots my reloads, but admittedly, it doesn't get shot as much as the Steyr did. My G19, chugs through them just fine. The Steyr shoots new WWB just fine. So, I took both barrels out and compared them side by side with the same ammo. The Steyr definitely has more support under the case head right above the feed ramp. So far, I'm thinking the theory that the chamber is tighter is true. But wait, what's that? The round actually seems looser in the Steyr barrel. Hmm...measured both chambers in a couple of locations with the digital calipers and the Steyr chamber is actually .001" larger than the G19 barrel.

With chamber diameter temporarily ruled out as a causal factor, I moved to the extractor, ejector and slide. Nothing jumped out at first, but then I noticed that the G19 extractor's gripping surface is quite a bit closer to the breech face than the Steyr's. This lead me to the conclusion that the Steyr extractor which has a slightly larger gap (couldn't measure it with my calipers- couldn't find my feeler gauges) it allows the rim of the brass to move around more during extraction. If some of my reloads have slightly smaller rim thickness (totally possible due to mixed head stamps) then it stands to reason that it would have more room to leverage itself out of the extractor, especially given the slightly larger chamber diameter and additional pressure from the chamber loaded indicator.

Any other thoughts on this? I'll compare with my P7's extractor and chamber the next time it's out of the safe.
    I'm betting 101% that you are right on the money from what I've seen from shooting my Steyrs. I have polished the chambers, not knowing that it was larger as I didn't compare it etc. as you have. Didn't help. Used old and new sets of plungers, extractors, etc. and a combination of them. Didn't work. STILL FTE one per 50-100.

The way the brass sometimes tumbles erratically and stovepipes in different positions, it's definitely the rattling and knocking around of the brass instead of a GRABBING and RIPPING out motion of extraction, as with glocks. The steyr essentially seems to just be half-heartedly grabbing the rims and tossing it loosely instead of grabbing on well.

Unless someone designs an extractor that curves in more towards the rim, I don't know how to fix this.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

I had a few FTE issues with my M357a1 but never any with the M40 or M9a1. I then tried the 357 barrel in the 40 and the FTE began. Maybe it's the higher pressure and slide velocity of the 357 rd. I then bought a couple of the 1911 safety plunger springs and stuffed 'em in with the Steyr extractor springs and that solved all the problems.

Don't know if you've tried this fix as I haven't read the whole thread from page 1.

You deserve what you tolerate.

Pray for the President. Psalm 109:8 -
    "Let his days be few; and let another take his office".

Sent from my Radioshack Tandy TRS~80 Color Computer 2 powered by a copper wire adaptor attached to a lemon.

Quote Originally Posted by blueorison View Post
    Unless someone designs an extractor that curves in more towards the rim, I don't know how to fix this.
    It doesn't need to curve in- just reduce the clearance between the breech face and extractor.

Of course, this could be all a bunch of hooey. I'd want to try it with a reduced clearance extractor and various mfg brass to prove the theory.

And for those of you just joining the discussion, my gun had complete extractor/spring/ejector swapped by SAI after I had no luck with the new extractor and spring. I never did try the 1911 spring trick. That may have been the ticket.

I have used the new, old, AND 1911 plunger and springs all in various combinations. Nothing fixed my problem.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456